ROUTINE Passport Renewal for Applicants Aged 16 And Over
- Step 1: Please make an appointment online
- Step 2: Please read the instruction below
- Step 3: Please complete the passport application form DS-82 (PDF 82 KB)
- You are at least 16 years old at the time of application; and
- Your most recent passport was issued when you were 16 years of age or older; and
- Your most recent passport was issued within the last 15 years; and
- Your most recent passport was not limited, i.e. it was issued for its full five- or ten-year validity (see note below for exceptions to this requirement); and
- You are able to submit the passport with this application; and
- You are not requesting a change in the passport data, other than a name change due to marriage or a court order.
Please see Lost/Stolen Passports for instructions for replacing a lost/stolen passport, please see Correction of Information for instructions for changes of name by means other than marriage or correction of passport information, or see Passports for instructions for all other passport renewals.
Note: If you have an emergency limited-validity passport issued at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside the United States that is now expired, you may renew your passport using these instructions, provided you meet all other criteria above. If your emergency passport has not yet expired, please see Replacing an Emergency Passport With a Full-Validity Passport.
In Person Application Requirements
Please make an appointment online and bring the following to your appointment.
- Your most recent United States passport;
- If you changed your name since your most recent passport was issued less than a year ago, please follow the instructions for Correction of Information on Passport.
- If the circumstances described in the prior bullet point do not apply to you, use the following instructions. If you changed your name via marriage, bring your original marriage certificate. If you changed your name via deed poll or government court order, please bring those original documents and government-issued ID in that new name. If the original documents are in a language other than English, please bring a certified English translation as well.
- Form DS-82 must be printed on separate sheets of paper; do NOT print this form on front and back of the same sheet. If you experience trouble with the Passport Application Wizard, please see Passport by Mail: DS-82 for Form DS-82 [PDF]. For tips on completing the DS-82 [PDF], please see Completing Form DS-82.
- One passport photograph: The Consulate will reject any photographs that do not meet the specified requirements. Vending machine photographs and photographs printed on a home computer are unacceptable;
- Fees: The application fee is US$110 or HK$880.
Payment options are as follows:
- U.S. or local currency;
- Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or Diners Club. All credit card transactions are in U.S. dollars, as if the transaction occurred in the United States.
Applying by Mail
The US Consulate in Hong Kong only accepts mail-in passport renewal applications from residents of Hong Kong and Macau. Residents of other jurisdictions should apply with the Embassy or Consulate in their region.
Please allow yourself at least 3 weeks time for passport renewal by mail. Please use Local CourierPost or Speedpost (in Macau) if you want guaranteed or traceable delivery. If you are traveling within 3 weeks or are applying for renewal of your second US passport, please make an appointment online to submit your application in person.
Please submit the following:
- Your most recent United States passport: This passport will be cancelled and returned to you with your new passport.
- If your name has changed via marriage, please provide your original marriage certificate.
- If you have changed your name by any other means you are required to apply for the passport in person. Please follow the instructions for Correction of Information on Passport. To book an appointment, please see ACS Appointment System.
- Form DS-82 must be printed on separate sheets of paper; do NOT print this form on the front and back of one sheet of paper. If you experience issues with the Passport Application Wizard, please see Passport by Mail: DS-82 for Form DS-82 [PDF]. For tips on completing the DS-82 [PDF], please see Completing Form DS-82.
- One passport photograph: The Consulate will reject any photographs that do not meet the specified requirements. Vending machine photographs and photographs printed on a home computer are unacceptable.
- Fees: The application fee is U.S. $110.
Payment options are as follows:
- Cashier's check made payable to "USDO Symbol 8768". Personal checks are not acceptable;
- Bank draft made payable to "USDO Symbol 8768";
- Money order (U.S. Postal, commercial; international, currency exchange) made payable to "USDO Symbol 8768";
- Bank drafts, money orders, and cashier's checks must be drawn in U.S. dollars on a bank in the United States and must have been issued within the last five months. You are able to purchase this kind of draft, check, or money order at most large local banks. Please take these instructions and the following sample check to the bank for reference. (PDF 201 KB)
Your envelope should be addressed to:
American Citizens Services
U.S. Consulate General
26 Garden Road
Please enclose a self-addressed return envelope. We can only return passports to addresses in Hong Kong and Macau. Passport requests from applicants living in Mainland China or other countries will be returned.
Please note: While Hongkong Post is very reliable, we cannot guarantee delivery of your passport. Those who want guaranteed delivery or the ability to track the receipt or delivery of their passport should include a self-addressed Local CourierPost or Speedpost prepaid envelope (purchased in Hong Kong). The weight of the returned passport will be less than 500 grams. Inquiries regarding Speedpost or Local CourierPost should be directed to Hong Kong Post Office. As the Consulate does not keep track of tracking numbers, you are advised to keep a record of your CourierPost or Speedpost tracking number so you can track your passport's return to you.
An application for a full-validity (ten years) passport will be sent to the United States for printing with a secure, photo-digitized image of the bearer. You should allow 3 weeks for your application to be processed.
If you are traveling within 3 weeks, please make an appointment online to apply in person.
Last modified: May 13, 2015